Sunday, August 23, 2009

What A Blessing...

For those growing up in Texarkana, sometime during your life you would have met a man named Dr. William E. Shields, fondly known to many of us as Doc. This man was a fabulous surgeon by trade, but more importantly he was a devoted Christian who served his Lord. Those of us that grew up at First Baptist Church, he was always a part of our lives. We spent hours in his home and many miles traveling the USA going on mission trips. We have listened to him sing in the choir, in the Seven Last Words, and many more things. He turned 90 years old yesterday and he sang in church this morning. The tenor voice is starting to fade but he still blessed everyone that heard him sing "Amazing Grace" in our morning service. His body is crippled now but he is still praising his Savior. When he got up to sing I looked at the girl next to me and asked if she had a kleenex because I knew the tears were going to flow. As they did, a flood of memories washed over me. Not only did this man save my life when I was 15 from appendicitus he taught me what missions was all about. Thank you Doc, for being a part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment